Monday, November 21, 2005

Kansas City Brigade Announced

Well, the name of our new Arena Football League team here in Kansas City has been announced.

Kansas City will be home to the Brigade.

Someone won season tickets for life for coming up with "the Brigade."

I don't know who entered the contest to name this AFL team, but I am guessing there were probably at least a few THOUSAND better names available.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't the worst name for a team ever. Still, there are a few problems...

What does "Brigade" have to do with Kansas City. I know, I know, we are close to a few air bases. So what? So is every other metropolitan area in the U.S. I want to know what is uniquely KC about "Brigade." Best I can tell through my not-so-extensive research and my own expansive knowledge base, the answer to my query is ZILCH.

Now one can make an argument that the direct relevancy to the city is of secondary importance. I mean, Cincy has the Bengals in the NFL and I know that Ohio is not overran by tigers. In this case, though, the owner and everyone associated with the AFL team was pretty vocal about wanting a team name that reflected the uniqueness of our fair Kansas City.

I think we can record the name choice as the teams very first fumble.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either.

More importantly, I suppose, we are another step closer to having Arena Football action in Kansas City. That's good news--probably good enough to overcome a rather uninspired team name.